Learn the key MATLAB programming skills that separate experts from novices: debugging, functions, and visualization
What you’ll learn
- Introduction to MATLAB
- How to write scripts and functions
- Visualize data in 2D and 3D
- Control statements
- Develop your programming style
- Think like a programmer
- Find and fix bugs
- Learn the most common mistakes and how to avoid them
- Strategies for planning and organizing your code
- * Manually corrected closed-captions *
- * The only MATLAB course with CHINESE subtitles *
- Prior experience with MATLAB is NOT necessary!
- But a bit of programming familiarity (in any language) will be helpful.
- Either MATLAB or Octave (a free MATLAB-like program) installed on your computer.
- Mathematics background is NOT necessary.
You need to learn MATLAB!
MATLAB is the most powerful and versatile software program for data visualization, simulations, complex large-scale data analysis, and applied linear algebra. MATLAB is widely used in academia and industry, and MATLAB programming skills can be vital to success in studies, research, and industry.
Learning to program is more than just memorizing code
Sure, you need to learn MATLAB coding syntax rules, you need to memorize some functions, and you need to know how to write a for-loop. And you’ll learn these topics in this course.
What you will learn in this course:
- Using and customizing the visual MATLAB environment (including replacing those awful default black-on-white colors with something that suits your colorful personality!)
- MATLAB programming basics
- Control statements (for-loops, while, if-else, switch)
- Make your own MATLAB functions
- Create and edit data visualizations using the MATLAB graphics engine
- How to write good, clean, readable code
- General strategies for debugging (finding and fixing errors)
- Recognize common coding mistakes and how to avoid them
- How to organize and optimize your code before you start coding
- Build confidence about your programming skills
This course is for you if your programming skills are:
- Sort-of all right but could be better
- Good or excellent in a language other than MATLAB
What sets this course apart from other MATLAB courses on Udemy:
- Start with the basics, but move to intermediate programming levels.
- Instead of just learning a few MATLAB tricks, you will learn general, transferable programming skills.
- You will learn not only how to program, but also how not to program, including the common coding errors to avoid.
- You will see lots and lots of examples in MATLAB of coding mistakes and bugs that I’ve seen countless students make.
- You will learn strategies for confirming, debugging, and sanity-checking your code to weed out possible hidden coding bugs.
- You will learn about data visualization, including the basics and intermediate levels in order to make beautiful visual displays of data.
- You will learn how to plan, organize, and structure scripts and functions. These are the skills that turn novice programmers into expert programmers.
What you get in this course:
- >5 hours of video lectures that include explanations, pictures, and diagrams
- pdf readers with important notes and explanations
- Exercises and their solutions
- >1500 lines of MATLAB code
- Access to me! You can ask me questions or send me some code that you need help with.
- That warm, fuzzy, and deeply existentially satisfying feeling you get from writing good, clean code.
- Bonus discount coupons to other relevant courses to continue learning.
Why I am qualified to teach this course:
I’ve written two textbooks on MATLAB programming (you can look them up on amazon for reviews) and I’ve taught programming and data visualization for almost 20 years. I know exactly what students are going through when learning MATLAB, and I’ve seen every possible error and source of confusion you can imagine!
Don’t just take my word for it: Scroll down and read the reviews!
I’ve taught MATLAB to people with the following backgrounds:
- Data science
- Computer science
So what are you waiting for??
Watch the course introductory video to learn more about the contents of this course and about my teaching style. If you are unsure if this MATLAB course is right for you, feel free to contact with me questions before you sign up.
I hope to see you soon in the course!
Who this course is for:
- Students who need MATLAB for courses
- Scientists who need MATLAB for research
- Someone who will use MATLAB as a tool to understand math or engineering principles
- Experienced programmers who are new to MATLAB
- Anyone interested in learning about programming!